Head of Mathematics
Inspiring teaching, leading improvement and meeting students' needs are the key foci for any Head of Mathematics. This professional development course is suitable for any Head of Mathematics who wants to have an opportunity to reflect upon their demanding role and learn strategies to increase their own effectiveness.
Who's the course for?
The course is ideally suited to those who are in their first few years of being a Head of Mathematics, but many experienced Heads of Mathematics will also benefit from the opportunity to evaluate and reflect upon their practice. Aspiring Heads of Mathematics will also find this course useful preparation for undertaking the role in future; reflecting upon the challenges involved will help them to become better candidates for a future post as well as preparing them to lead and manage a department effectively.
- Evaluate your leadership style and the impact it has on the teaching of mathematics in your department
- Articulate your personal vision of effective mathematics teaching and learning
- Consider how to lead a team effectively in order to secure improvement in the teaching and learning of mathematics
- Consider the position of the Head of Mathematics within the establishment and ways to ensure that all stakeholders are working towards the same goals
- Support you in embedding the principles of the course in practice through structured interim tasks
For the teacher
- Learn useful strategies for leading a mathematics department
- Improve personal effectiveness
- Develop contacts with other professionals at the same career stage
For the school
- Develop your staff to take on this important leadership role
- Build capacity within your management team
The course consists of three study days spread over a number of months where participants work together to learn about department leadership, effective approaches to management, and the means to influence and bring about improvement in the teaching and learning of mathematics.
Course Dates and Application
The course dates are:
Day 1: Tuesday 1st March 2016
Day 2: Monday 13th June 2016
Day 3: Thursday 13th October 2016
Further details of the upcoming course starting in March 2016 can be found on this course flyer
You can register for a place on the course using the online registration form
Fees for this course are £500.
Contact the CPD administration team:
Telephone: 01225 716494
Please refer to the terms and conditions for MEI CPD events.