Teaching GCSE Mathematics (TGM)
Teaching GCSE Mathematics (TGM) is designed for those new to teaching GCSE Mathematics in secondary or further education and will support your progression to being a confident GCSE Mathematics teacher at foundation tier.
Currently, we are offering TGM as a live online course.
- Gain confidence and competence with the subject content of GCSE Mathematics foundation tier, and a peek at some higher tier content.
- Learn more about the principles of effective pedagogy in maths teaching.
- Apply these principles in the classroom with practical strategies and resources.
- Reflect upon creating effective and engaging environments for learning maths.
Who will benefit from attending?
TGM is designed for teachers who wish to develop both their subject knowledge and classroom practice in maths at GCSE level. You may be:
- a specialist in another subject or vocational area but teaching maths for the first time.
- a newly, or recently, qualified maths teacher looking to continue your professional development.
- a maths teacher returning to the classroom.
- an experienced teacher of KS3 or post-16 Functional Mathematics who wishes to up-skill and learn more about GCSE Mathematics.
- wanting to develop your own subject knowledge to enable you to confidently and competently teach foundation tier GCSE Mathematics.
- already teaching GCSE Mathematics in Key Stage 4 or GCSE resit in post-16 and looking to enhance your teaching.
The course requires active participation at ten online study sessions, which are focused on both subject knowledge and pedagogy:
- Sessions run from January to June.
- Subject areas typically covered include number, proportional reasoning, geometry, algebra, statistics, and probability.
The course is also underpinned by specific pedagogic themes:
- Building confidence.
- Deepening understanding.
- Diagnostic teaching (including digital technologies).
Participants will also have two-years access to self-paced learning modules covering all the main foundation topics, with a focus on strengthening subject knowledge:
- number and measures
- decimals and percentages
- proportional reasoning
- continuing number
- algebra (manipulation, graphs, sequences, equations & inequalities)
- direct and inverse proportion
- angles and shapes
- area, perimeter, and volume
- transformations and vectors
- constructions and loci
- circles, Pythagoras’ Theorem and trigonometry
- probability and statistics
These self-paced learning modules can be accessed in their entirety or personalised to suit your needs.
Materials and Equipment
You will be expected to join via an internet-connected computer or tablet. A Zoom account will be required to access the sessions.
After attending all ten online sessions and completing the self-paced online learning, you will receive a certificate of attendance.
The total cost of the ten live online sessions and the self-paced learning modules is £150.
Registration is currently closed for this course.
If you'd like to be notified when applications open for the TGM course in the future, please register your interest.
- Event ref#8808
- Curriculum focus11-16 maths, functional skills and gcse resit
- Mathematical focusProblem Solving, Use of Technology, Curriculum planning, Reasoning
- Event formatSustained PD
- Event Length6 month(s)
- Online Sessions10
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: