Teaching GCSE Mathematics resit (TGMr)
Teaching GCSE Mathematics Resit (TGMr) is designed for those teaching GCSE Mathematics resit in a post-16 setting. The course is run by experienced GCSE resit teachers and will support you to improve your subject knowledge and learn more about the principles of effective pedagogy in GCSE Mathematics resit teaching.
- Gain confidence and competence with the subject content of GCSE Mathematics foundation tier.
- Learn more about the principles of effective pedagogy in GCSE maths resit teaching.
- Apply these principles in the classroom with practical strategies and resources.
- Reflect upon creating effective and engaging environments for learning maths in the resit setting.
Who will benefit from attending?
TGMr is designed for teachers who wish to further develop their subject knowledge & pedagogy, in GCSE Mathematics resit teaching. You may be:
- an experienced GCSE resit teacher looking to enhance your teaching of GCSE resit
- new to teaching GCSE Mathematics and wanting to develop further
- an experienced maths teacher teaching GCSE resit for the first time
- a Functional Maths teacher teaching level 2
- a maths teacher of 16-18 or adult students
The course requires active participation at ten online study sessions, which are focused on both subject knowledge and pedagogy:
- Sessions from September to December
- The course covers all the key ingredients of teaching, learning and assessment needed to teach GCSE Mathematics resit students.
- You will get the chance to explore key aspects of proportional reasoning, contextualisation, problem solving & reasoning, diagnostic teaching, using manipulatives, bar modelling and ratio tables.
- Key pedagogies of how to teach lower attaining students will be investigated by exposing misconceptions and supporting students with any difficulties.
- The subject content covered will be at GCSE foundation tier.
Participants will also have 2 years access to self-paced learning modules covering all the main foundation topics, with a focus on strengthening subject knowledge:
- number and measures
- fractions, decimals and percentages
- proportional reasoning
- continuing number
- algebra (manipulation, graphs, sequences, equations & inequalities)
- direct and inverse proportion
- angles and shapes
- area, perimeter, and volume
- transformations and vectors
- constructions and loci
- circles, Pythagoras’ Theorem and trigonometry
These self-paced learning modules can be accessed in their entirety or personalised to suit the needs of course delegates.
Materials and Equipment
You will be expected to join via an internet-connected computer or tablet. A Zoom account will be required to access the sessions.
After attending all ten online sessions and completing the self-paced online learning you will receive a certificate of attendance.
The total cost of the ten live online sessions and the self-paced learning modules is £150.
Registration is currently closed for this course. TGMr will return in October 2022.
If you'd like to be notified when applications open for the Teaching GCSE Mathematics resit course in the future, please register your interest.
- Event ref#8809
- Curriculum focusfunctional skills and gcse resit
- Mathematical focusProblem Solving, Use of Technology, Curriculum planning, Reasoning
- Event formatSustained PD
- Event Length3 month(s)
- Online Sessions10
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: