Teaching GCSE maths resit in 9 months
Our Teaching GCSE maths resit in 9 months course is designed for those teaching students who are resitting GCSE Mathematics in a post-16 setting. The course is run by experienced GCSE resit teachers, and will support you to improve your subject knowledge and learn more about the principles of effective pedagogy in GCSE maths resit teaching.
- Gain confidence and competence with the subject content of GCSE Mathematics foundation tier.
- Learn more about the principles of effective pedagogy in GCSE maths resit teaching.
- Apply these principles in the classroom with practical strategies and resources.
- Reflect upon creating effective and engaging environments for learning maths in the resit setting.
Who will benefit from attending?
This two-day residential course is designed for teachers who wish to further develop their subject knowledge and pedagogy in GCSE maths resit teaching. You may be:
- an experienced GCSE resit teacher looking to enhance your teaching of GCSE resit
- new to teaching GCSE Mathematics and wanting to develop further
- an experienced maths teacher teaching GCSE resit for the first time
- a Functional Maths teacher teaching level 2
- a maths teacher of 16-19 or adult students
Teaching GCSE maths resit in 9 months is focused on both subject knowledge and pedagogy. The subject content covered will be at GCSE Mathematics foundation tier. The course covers the key ingredients of teaching, learning and assessment needed to teach GCSE maths resit students, including exploring pedagogies of how to teach lower attaining students.
Materials and Equipment
You'll be expected to have a mobile device, tablet or laptop for some of the activities.
After attending both days of the residential course, you'll receive a certificate of completion and attendance. This course compliments and builds on MEI's online course, Teaching GCSE Mathematics resit (TGMr). Teaching GCSE maths resit in 9 months is a face-to-face course and there are more opportunities for practical activities. Whilst there is natural overlap with TGMr, participants will be able to collaborate, network and start to develop a scheme of learning suitable for their own contexts.
The course fee is £450. This fee includes overnight accommodation on day one of the course at The National STEM Learning Centre in York.
For further details, please contact the course tutor, Martin Newton ([email protected]).
- Current issues in GCSE maths resit
- Multiplicative reasoning
- Responsive teaching
- Workshop: Scheme of learning and active learning resources
- Problem solving: Using examples in context
- Fluency and variation
- Combining topics: Concrete, Pictorial, Abstract
Throughout the course, there will be three themes that run through the sessions – teaching for mastery, use of manipulatives, and preparation for exams.
- Event ref#9763
- Curriculum focusfunctional skills and gcse resit
- Mathematical focusProblem Solving, Use of Technology, Curriculum planning, Reasoning
- Event formatFace-to-face PD
- Event Length2 day(s)
- RegionYorkshire and the Humber
- VenueNational STEM Learning Centre,
University of York,
- Start DateMon 4th Jul 2022
If you have any queries about this event, please do not hesitate to contact: