Teaching GCSE Mathematics
TGM is MEI’s course for those new to teaching secondary mathematics. Whether you are currently training, newly qualified, returning to the classroom or moving in to teaching mathematics, MEI is able to support you in developing your confidence, subject knowledge and teaching skills.
The course requires active participation at five face-to-face study days
- Day 1: Big ideas in mathematics; what are we really teaching?
- Day 2: Being a learner of mathematics
- Day 3: Principles of effective pedagogy specific to mathematics teaching
- Day 4: Current issues in mathematics teaching
- Day 5: Being a teacher of mathematics
...and in a series of online sessions spread across the school year in a virtual classroom including
- Taking a fresh look at foundation topics of GCSE Mathematics
- Focusing on subject knowledge at grade A/A* mathematics
- Doing mathematics
Participants will also receive 2 years' access to the growing bank of online resources developed especially to support this course.
TGM supports participants to
- Deepen their understanding of the big ideas in mathematics
- Gain an understanding of the principles of effective pedagogy in mathematics teaching
- Apply these principles in the classroom with practical strategies and resources
- Gain a deep understanding of the content of KS4 mathematics up to, and including, higher tier GCSE
Benefit from this Sustained Professional Development
- You gain the benefits of both face-to-face study days and the flexibility of long-distance learning in our online classroom.
- Access the exclusive collection of online teaching and classroom resources to support your learning on the course.
- Evidence that you have engaged in recent and significant professional development. Upon attending all five study days and completing the interim tasks, you will receive a certificate of attendance.
- While MEI are committed to providing the highest quality of professional development, you can benefit from our not-for-profit pricing.
- You can be assured of the high quality of our courses as MEI holds the National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM) CPD standard and the course leader is an accredited professional development lead.
Is this course for me?
TGM is designed for teachers who wish to develop both their subject knowledge and classroom practice in mathematics at secondary school level. You may be:
- A specialist in another subject but teaching maths for the first time
- An experienced teacher of KS3 or post-16 maths who wishes to up-skill and learn more about the mathematics of GCSE
- A mathematics teacher returning to the classroom
- Wanting to develop your own subject knowledge to enable you to confidently and competently teach Higher tier GCSE Mathematics.
Course Dates and Application
Registration for courses running in England are now closed for the academic year 2016/17. We expect to offer the course again from Autumn 2017.
If you would like further information, or are interested in hosting TGM in your area, please contact the course leader, [email protected]
Alternatively contact the CPD administration team:
Telephone: 01225 716494
Please refer to the terms and conditions for MEI CPD events.
Please use the links below to navigate to more information about the following:
View upcoming MEI professional development events and live webinars