Hello and welcome to Digging for the why – the podcast for maths teachers of Years 5-8 looking at continuity and why we need to dig for the why in our lessons.
This episode is in two parts. In part one, Andy and Alison discuss what they mean by mastery. In part two, they are joined by Steph Kirk (@Steph_mathsive), a teacher in a brand new school with just Year 7, to hear how she uses mastery as part of her teaching.
Together they discuss the following:
- The weather – again!
- The challenge and opportunity of only having Year 7 in a school
- PD in your department
- Using mastery in your planning and teaching
Links to things mentioned in this episode:
- NCETM – Mastery
- Find your local maths hub
- NCETM – Professional Development resources
- West Yorkshire Maths Hub
- Ready to progress criteria
- NCETM checkpoint resources
Pssst…If you enjoyed this episode, please help us reach more people by leaving us a review.
Our intro/outro was produced by a talented young creative – check out his Soundcloud.