Would you like to become a better leader of maths?
Our Primary Maths Subject Leader Development course can help you to form a fresh and vibrant new vision for the teaching of maths to share with your colleagues. It will support you in developing practical strategies to implement, monitor and evaluate change and improvement in maths throughout your school.
The course is ideal whether if you’re new to maths subject leadership, an experienced subject leader in a new setting, or just looking for some fresh approaches.
The course aims to help you to:
- Reflect on your values and beliefs regarding teaching and learning in primary maths
- Understand your own leadership style
- Learn how to employ effective leadership strategies to secure improvement in the teaching and learning of maths in your school
- Plan for development and improvement in maths in your school
It comprises a day and a half of practical activities, discussion and the sharing of research and good practice to allow you to reflect on your vision and beliefs and consider how that translates into actions in school. The course can be run over a number of twilight sessions if required.
Day 1 – Leading with vision (full day)
Day 2 – Planning for development and assuring quality (half day)
- Form a vision of maths in your school that you can articulate clearly to colleagues
- Develop practical strategies to implement, lead, monitor and evaluate change in your school
For your school:
- A shared vision for maths
- A plan with clear steps to bring the vision to life
For your students:
- Purposeful and consistent approaches to teaching and learning maths
- Support to make continued and sustained progress across the school
The dates and venue for our next course are yet to be confirmed. It’s likely the venue will be central London.
This course can also be hosted by a school or multi-academy trust.
Please get in touch to find out more or express an interest in joining this course.
Whole-school maths reviews
Is it time to review and reflect on your whole school’s approach to teaching and learning maths?
A review by our Primary Maths Specialist can be very effective in helping you to identify your strengths and which aspects to prioritise for development.
Our specialist would spend one or two days with your Maths Subject Leader(s) and other member of the Senior Leadership, observing maths teaching across all years, and providing observed teachers with detailed constructive feedback. They would then work closely with the Maths and Senior Leadership teams to set priorities relating to your current position and the areas identified for development.
- Meeting with Head Teacher to discuss where maths sits within whole-school planning
- Meeting with the Maths and Senior Leadership teams to discuss strengths and areas for development
- Identification of activities to provide evidence of strengths of maths in the school
- Development of a prioritised action plan
- A detailed written report of all aspects of the review for the Maths Subject Lead and Senior Leaders
Please get in touch to find out more.
Your school or college may be eligible for a London Mathematical Society Teacher CPD Grant to help towards the cost of MEI’s professional development courses and bespoke training days.