We offer several professional development opportunities for both experienced and new Year 5 and 6 teachers and Primary Maths Subject Leaders.
Details of all the professional development courses and events offered by MEI are listed on our events page.
Key Stage 2-3 Transition webinars
Keeping Year 6 pupils motivated in their maths learning during the transition to Year 7 can be challenging. If you’re looking for extra support to help your Year 6 class as they make this journey, watch these webinars on Supporting Key Stage 2 to 3 Transition in Maths:
Year 6 – Securing Greater Depth: Elegant solutions to problems
This course explores classroom strategies and activity ideas to encourage pupils to think deeply and make connections in maths. When pupils are able to draw on these connections in their mathematical understanding, they are able to find more elegant solutions to problems.
You’ll engage in activities and discussions, working together with others to:
- Agree what is meant by ‘Greater Depth’
- Know how to plan opportunities for pupils to think at ‘Greater Depth’
- Know how to identify ‘Greater Depth’ in pupils’ approaches and work
It’s ideal if you’re a Year 5 or Year 6 teacher or a Primary Maths Subject Leader. It’s also suitable if you’re a leader of KS2-3 transition or a KS3 teacher who would like to find out what it means to work at ‘Greater Depth’ in Year 6.
- Develop a deeper understanding of the connections between different areas of the curriculum
- Strategies for planning and teaching that encourage mathematical thinking at greater depth
- Understanding of what ‘greater depth’ looks like in the way students work
For your school:
- A more coherent approach to the teaching of maths
- More students demonstrating a greater depth of understanding of the curriculum
For your students:
- More opportunities to access work at greater depth
- More efficient approaches to solving problems
- Increased confidence in problem solving
The dates and venue for our next course are yet to be confirmed. It’s likely the venue will be central London.
This course can also be hosted by a school or multi-academy trust.
Please get in touch to find out more or express an interest in joining this course.
You may also be interested in our Primary Maths Subject Leader Development course.
Your school may be eligible for a London Mathematical Society Teacher CPD Grant to help towards the cost of MEI’s professional development courses and bespoke training days.