Teaching GCSE Mathematics
TGM is MEI’s course for those new to teaching secondary mathematics. Whether you are currently training, newly qualified, returning to the classroom or moving in to teaching mathematics, MEI is able to support you in developing your confidence, subject knowledge and teaching skills.
The course requires active participation at four face-to-face study days:
- Days 1 and 2: Values and beliefs
- Days 3 and 4: Teaching for understanding
In addition, the fee includes access to packages of live online sessions with a pedagogic focus:
- Thinking mathematically
- Investigating mathematically
- Planning & assessing for learning
Self-paced online learning with a subject knowledge focus:
- Quadratic expressions
Free entry to day 3 of the MEI Conference 2020, with exclusive access to TGM-only welcome session and then free choice of all of the conference's public sessions. These cover a wide range of areas and can be tailored to the individual's specific professional development needs and interests.
Participants will also receive 2 years' access to the online resources developed especially to support this course.
TGM supports participants to
- Reflect upon creating effective and engaging environments for learning maths
- Learn more about the principles of effective pedagogy in maths teaching
- Apply these principles in the classroom with practical strategies and resources
- Gain confidence and competence with the subject content of KS4 maths up to, and including, higher tier GCSE
Benefit from this Sustained Professional Development
- You gain the benefits of both face-to-face study days and the flexibility of long-distance learning in our online classroom
- Access the exclusive collection of online teaching and classroom resources to support your learning on the course
- Evidence that you have engaged in recent and significant professional development. Upon attending all four study days and completing the self-paced online learning, you will receive a certificate of attendance
- While MEI are committed to providing the highest quality of professional development, you can benefit from our not-for-profit pricing
- You can be assured of the high quality of our courses as MEI holds the National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics (NCETM) CPD standard and the course leader is an accredited professional development lead
Is this course for me?
TGM is designed for teachers who wish to develop both their subject knowledge and classroom practice in maths at secondary school level. You may be:
- A specialist in another subject but teaching maths for the first time
- A newly, or recently, qualified mathematics teacher looking to continue their professional development
- A mathematics teacher returning to the classroom
- An experienced teacher of KS3 or post-16 maths who wishes to up-skill and learn more about the maths of GCSE
- Wanting to develop your own subject knowledge to enable you to confidently and competently teach Higher tier GCSE Mathematics
Course Dates and Application
Registration for courses beginning in Autumn 2019 are now open at the following venue:
Course fees are £500 per participant.
To apply for TGM, please complete our online registration form.
If you would like further information, or are interested in hosting TGM in your area, please contact the course leader, [email protected]
Alternatively contact the CPD administration team:
Please refer to the terms and conditions for MEI CPD events.
Please use the links below to navigate to more information about the following:
View upcoming MEI professional development events and live webinars